beishir

beishir

Sherlock Holmes and the Copycat Murders (SH murder series) (Sherlock Holmes Murders)

Sherlock Holmes and the Copycat Murders - Barry Day This is probably the biggest disappointment among the Barry Day Sherlock Holmes pastiches that I have read.

There is a string of murders being committed in which someone is mimicking old Sherlock Homes case files in an attempt to frame him for the murders. But, all of it is just the tip of the iceberg for some deeper reaching international intrigue.

I could never quite figure out why it was so important for the antagonists to draw Holmes into their plan. The overall mystery was never much of one and it is resolved with a third of the book still to go. The remainder of the book is left to allow the underlying plot to wind down. That's when it really starts to disappoint.

So many new characters are added that it becomes a muddle. And worse, none of the new characters are who you think they are. The author goes to the well too often with characters in disguise to the point that it gets to the absurd levels of the Mission Impossible movies. "Ha ha ha, I've solved the crime." "Oh no you haven't, let me rip off this mask and show you who I really am!" It got ridiculous.

2 STARS...based on a good idea that was just poorly executed.